Thursday, November 19, 2020

The Blue Monkey, Memphis, TN

Blue Monkey

MAP 

The Blue Monkey is a bar and grill with two Memphis locations. I've been to the one on Madison a few times but had never been to the one on Front Street until two nights ago. It's located on Front Street just north of G.E. Patterson about a block behind (just west of) Earnestine and Hazel's. The one on Madison has always been great but the one on Front Street did not impress me. Now, to be fair, it may simply be what I ordered because I've heard a bunch of people say the one downtown is the better of the two.

I ordered the country fried steak with macaroni and cheese and a side salad. The salad was reasonably good but they charged me extra for a second small container of dressing. This isn't a big deal, but most places I've been don't charge extra for a little more dressing.

That aside, the country fried steak was "average" and the mac and cheese seemed to be instant out of a box mac. None of it was bad it's just that none of it was particularly good. I saw a few things at other tables that looked great so I will definitely be back and try it again. Like I said, the one on Madison has always been great.

It was a little pricey. The total was about $21 before tax but for a downtown restaurant that's probably not really too bad. The service was okay but not great. I left a little smaller tip than I usually do. I didn't stiff the waitress but I left right at 15 percent and usually I leave at least 20.




No comments:

Post a Comment