Saturday, December 1, 2018

The Choo, Memphis, TN

The Choo

MAP

The Choo is a small family style diner on Southern Avenue at the corner of Semmes Street, in the building where the Buntyn Restaurant used to be. I don't remember where I heard about them but I saw it somewhere and went there today and I can't say enough about this place!

The food was fantastic and the price was great. I ordered baked chicken with pinto beans, macaroni and cheese, and cornbread, and everything was really good. I got lemonade as a drink and it was really good too. The drink machine wasn't working so I don't know if they normally have soft drinks, but what they had today was sweet tea, lemonade, and water. The menu was written on a chalk board and had several main items, several sides, and two types of desserts, so I assume it changes a little each day.

I got two pieces of chicken, a breast and a leg, and a huge helping of beans and macaroni. They weren't busy; I was the only one in there, but I was there after lunch time and they are only open until 4 PM so I assume they mostly have a lunch crowd. I met who I assume was the owner (I forgot to ask) and he was very friendly. Prices were great. My total including a drink and tax was only $10.87.

One small note, there didn't seem to be any actual parking for the location. I parked in an alley behind the building on Old Southern Avenue, and didn't see any other parking. It didn't appear that you could park on Semmes Street as it's a two lane street. As I left, there was traffic on Semmes and I don't think there was room for street parking.

Regardless, even if you have to park and walk a block, it's definitely worth it. The food was fantastic! Give them a try.

This is the type of place I love to go to. Small independent business with great food and great service.



No comments:

Post a Comment