Tuesday, January 30, 2018

South of Beale, Memphis, TN

South of Beale

MAP

South of Beale is a small burger restaurant and bar in Memphis on Main Street at Vance Avenue. I went there for the first time a couple of years ago on recommendation of a friend and have been hooked since.

I went there tonight (Monday 1/29/2018) after a rehearsal. Each night they have a burger special but also also have a regular menu. Everything I've had has been great. Tonight, I got the the burger special, which was a burger with Claybrook Farms beef, cheddar arugula, spicy Asian mayo, and homemade fries and ketchup, and as always, it was great.

Side note: Not long ago, I recommended this place in a local Reddit sub and someone commented that he didn't like South of Beale because they "rely too much on their unique ingredients to make the food good." I'm not sure exactly what that means. He stated that the food was good but didn't like to eat there because of why the food was good. That confused me a little. If the food is good, why does it matter? Anyway, I definitely recommend them.

I've also had their duck patty melt, a sushi-type seared salmon appetizer, and a few other items and everything has been good.

Prices are about average for a downtown place. Not overpriced, but a little higher than somewhere in another part of the city. Tonight's dinner, including drink and tip, was about $21.00.

They do have their own, no cost parking lot. I thought that might be worth mentioning since a few places downtown don't.



Bonus review!

I went there back on November 15 and got a three-course dinner special they were offering that night. There was a choice between several things, and I got duck fried rice, wood fired salmon with artichokes, and creme brulee and it was great. I don't remember how much it was exactly, but it seems like it was around $30.00 with drink and tip.






No comments:

Post a Comment